Popularly known as Brighton Pier, the Palace Pier is a Grade II leisure pier, situated opposite the Old Steine in the centre of the city. It was opened in 1899 and was the third pier to be created in the city. Interestingly, it is the only one still functioning today and is currently under the management of the Eclectic Bar Group.
Also known as the Brighton Pavilion, the Royal Pavilion is a first class royal residence, built as a waterside resort for Prince George in 1787. The style of construction is synonymous to the prevalent Indian style of the 19th century, known as Indo-Saracenic. Its current look is the work of renowned architect, John Nash.
The Brighton Museum and Art Gallery is municipally owned and like the Royal Pavilion, was initially built for Prince George. Its construction was finished in 1805. It is normally free for residents of Brighton.
The Lanes are a myriad of narrow walkways, prominent for their tiny kiosks and shops, including numerous antique outlets and mazy alleys. The Lanes are linked by North Street to the north, Prince Albert Street and Ship Street to the west, and the Northern flank of Bartholomew Square to the south. Meanwhile, though less-defined, the eastern border links Market Street and East Street.
Dominating the majestic seafront is the manmade Brighton Marina, featuring a functioning harbour, several leisure and commercial centres, as well as residential housing. It was constructed between 1971 and 1979, but is continually upgraded. It was bought by the Brighton Corporation in 1972.
The Old Steine is a main thoroughfare located in central Brighton. It is also the southern terminus of the A23. Following the southern end will lead you to Brighton Place Pier and Marine Parade. To the north of the Old Steine is the Royal Pavilion. The Old Steine also serves as a bus stop for local buses.
Also referred to as Brighton Toy Museum, Brighton Toy and Model Museum comprises a vintage collection of toys and models, spanning the entire twentieth century. Established in 1991, the museum houses more than ten thousand models and toys.
The Booth Museum of Natural History is not just any museum, but one of of natural history. Located in Brighton, it focuses on taxidermy – particularly English birds, fossils and skeletons. The museum is totally free for tours, regardless of residency. It is also a part of the Brighton Royal Pavilion and Museums.
The Old Police Cells Museum is situated in the lower ground floor of Brighton Town Hall. The museum gives guests or tourists an exceptional insight into the early beginnings and general operations of the Sussex Police. It is quite both educative and entertaining, providing an almost-real life account of the killing of Chief Constable Henry in 1844.
Preston Manor is the previous manor house of the primeval Sussex settlement of Preston, which has now been incorporated into the city of Brighton and Hove. The initial structure was rebuilt by Thomas Western (the then Lord of the Manor). The current building dates back to the 16th century.
British Airways i360 is a watchtower located on the coastline of Brighton. The tower started operations on August 4th 2016. Looking out from the tower’s fenced observation pod, tourists can see the whole of Brighton on a 360-degree axis. On a clearer day, the Isle of Wight 49 miles to the west can be seen.
Sea Life Brighton began operations in 1872 and is still going strong, thus making it the world’s oldest functional aquarium. Situated underground, close to the Brighton pier, it is an architectural wonder; its marble hall and finely crafted stone works are testament to this. Even more amazing is the fact that it houses more than 150 distinct maritime creatures.
The West Pier was designed by Eugenius Birch and opened for from 1866 to 1975. Initially designed to attract tourism to Brighton, it was the first Grade I pier in the UK. However, since its closure, it has fell further into disrepair.
The Devil’s Dyke is located on South Downs Way, near the city of Brighton and Hove. It is a V-Shaped, 100m deep valley and was a huge local tourist attraction in the 19th and 20th centuries. The Devil’s Dyke is a product of water erosion and solifluction.
Built by Magnus Volk, the Volk’s Electric Railway (VER) is a very narrow railway-gauge heritage that is tracked along the coastline of Brighton’s seaside resort. It was built using the templates of Von Siemens’s Berlin demonstration in 1879. The Volk’s first section was finished and ready in August 1883.